There’s not really anything new to report, but if you have an insatiable hunger for Bay Bridgery, here you go:
– “Caltrans says it is highly unlikely the bridge is going to be opening today or tonight unless the wind stops blowing and the crews continues (sic) their work.”
– “Caltrans says the crews repairing the bridge are making progress. It’s been a non-stop, all night, all morning effort in the face of some very strong, gusting winds”
– “The wind is drastically slowing down our efforts and we have thousands of pounds of steel that we have to place over 120 feet in the air on the project right now and worker safety is our concern,” said Caltrans Spokesperson Bart Ney.
– “The replacement parts arrived overnight and they’ll be brought up to the damaged part of the bridge when the winds calm down.”
– “If that goes well, we should be able to have a good ETA, sometime later today. But if we have any problems, we might have to get more equipment out here, more materials out here and that could extends u (sic) another day,” said Ney.
BART’s transbay ridership this morning was up 47% compared to a normal Wednesday morning. Typically between the start of service and 10 a.m. BART would carry about 55,800 passengers between the East Bay and San Francisco. This morning, transbay ridership increased by 27,200 riders for a total of approximately 83,000 transbay riders.
Additionally, overall morning ridership was up 24%. That translates to 26,500 more passengers using BART. Typically, during a Wednesday morning commute, BART would carry about 112,700 passengers systemwide. Today there was a total of 139,200 riders systemwide.
Also, Take Bay Bridge closure survey for chance to win $100 gift card “Are you planning a BART trip because of the Bay Bridge closure? Please take a moment to complete our short survey and enter to win a $100 American Express gift card.” Survey’s here, if you win please buy me a Mounds Bar.
NBC Bay Area: The Eastern Span’s Good Luck Charm “A troll took up residence at the north side of the bridge’s upper deck, just out of the view of motorists passing by back in 1989. Iron workers who repaired the Loma Prieta collapse, gave a Bay Artist a piece of the bridge and asked him to make a mascot of sorts.” THIS IS ADORABLE.
Beth Spotswood: a love letter to an inanimate object… Beth gives thanks to the Golden Gate Bridge. “Sure, you’ve been closed a few times. Like for really horrible car accidents or because Woody Harrelson wants to save a tree. But it’s never your fault. Nothing is.”
The Capricious Commuter: Fixing the fix; when will the Bay Bridge reopen? “It was a deja vu experience for news reporters and motorists last night as the Bay Bridge was closed indefinitely.” As we all know, that implies a glitch in the Matrix. Which, fuck you computers for generating this lame program to keep our battery life up!
Rich Lieberman Report (via BayNewser: Bay Area media meltdown over Bridge closure; KTVU, KCBS ok; everyone else, yuck “the local media did its usual MIA/el stupendo in coverage of the Bay Bridge closure.” Of course, by “media” he seems to mean “people on TV.” Read a screen, Lieberman! There was a shitload of good local media coverage. And who watched TV news anymore anyway, we ask with apologies to our friends on the screen that comes sans typewriter.
Frisco Vista: Criminal “I am hereby calling for a criminal investigation of CalTrans and the Bay Bridge repair contractor, C.C. Myers Inc.” OK!
Oh, and if you’ve missed any of our coverage of BayBridgeCrackFest 2009, here you go:
– BART “in discussions” To Run Overnight, Wants Caltrans Reimbursement
— How Was Your Commute?
— Free Hot Dogs With BART, Transbay, TransLink Pass Or Ticket At Zog’s Today
— What’s Everybody Saying About The Bay Bridge Closure This Morning?
— Bay Bridge To Be “Closed Indefinitely”, Here’s A List Of Transit Alternatives