All photos: Travis Jensen.

3:58 PM: Bay City News is reporting that “Investigators believe the fire started accidentally inside a” fun water-based log ride “flue in the kitchen. They estimated the damage at $150,000.” They also noted that “An adjacent building at 230 California St. sustained exposure damage estimated at $10,000, according to the fire department.” Most importantly, they say “A Tadich Grill employee said the restaurant was expected to reopen for business Tuesday morning.”

1:08 PM: The Chronicle weighs in , new news being that “About three dozen firefighters responded in 13 trucks to control the blaze, which caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.” And confirming that “no injuries were reported” which means, we hope, that the person answering BCN’s call earlier got out OK.

12:45 PM: HOWEVER, CBS5 says it’ll be closed “until further notice” for repairs.

On an unrelated note, two folks have asked us “what’s with all the restaurant fires?” We blame all this street food shit.

12:31 PM: ABC7 is reporting that the damage was only “minor,” and the Tadich expects to be back in business by Tuesday.

12:19 PM: We should have known it was all over once y’all started talking “flue”s: The MTA says that “the problem below cleared at 12:12 p.m.” so the Cable Cars are back in biz, and the fire is out.

12:15 PM: Appeal commenter holland says:

I think its flue -A flue is a duct, pipe, or chimney for conveying exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, water heater, boiler, or generator to the outside. They become full of grease from cooking and are supposed to be cleaned out but, restaurants and home owners usually ignore them resulting in flue fires.

Yeah, that makes sense!

11:52 AM: Eye on Blogs is reporting that the fire “occurred in the flume and spread to the roof.” Flume is a funny word, say it aloud and you’ll agree.

11:46 AM: The MTA tells us that the fire (and responding vehicles) have blocked the California line cable cars. Shuttle buses are picking up the slack.

11:40 AM: Bay City News reports:

Firefighters are working to put out a two-alarm fire burning at 240 California St. in San Francisco, a fire dispatcher said.

Further information about the fire was not immediately available, but a man who answered the phone at Tadich Grill confirmed that the building was on fire.

DUDE. GET OFF THE PHONE, then!

11:37 AM: Twitter user mando66 says the address of the fire is 240 California, which would not be Perbacco, it would be the Tadich Grill. We haven’t confirmed this independently, and SFist is still reporting Parbacco, with more details.

11:20 AM: A tipster just IMed us “Big fire downtown. Looks to be near the building that houses Harrington’s or perhaps behind it.” Of course, SFist is on the case, noting that the fire might be coming from beloved (by many) restaurant Perbacco. Let us know if you know anything more (pics are a plus!) in the comments or any other way you choose.

Photo: SFist

the author

Eve Batey is the editor and publisher of the San Francisco Appeal. She used to be the San Francisco Chronicle's Deputy Managing Editor for Online, and started at the Chronicle as their blogging and interactive editor. Before that, she was a co-founding writer and the lead editor of SFist. She's been in the city since 1997, presently living in the Outer Sunset with her husband, cat, and dog. You can reach Eve at eve@sfappeal.com.

Please make sure your comment adheres to our comment policy. If it doesn't, it may be deleted. Repeat violations may cause us to revoke your commenting privileges. No one wants that!
  • holland

    I think its flue -A flue is a duct, pipe, or chimney for conveying exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, water heater, boiler, or generator to the outside. They become full of grease from cooking and are supposed to be cleaned out but, restaurants and home owners usually ignore them resulting in flue fires.

  • holland

    I think its flue -A flue is a duct, pipe, or chimney for conveying exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, water heater, boiler, or generator to the outside. They become full of grease from cooking and are supposed to be cleaned out but, restaurants and home owners usually ignore them resulting in flue fires.

  • Robbie

    you are correct I replied this to them in their twitter post as well!

  • Robbie

    you are correct I replied this to them in their twitter post as well!

  • brittney

    The “flume” error was my fault! I misheard the guy yelling from the desk. A flume, it turns out, is for water. If it was a flume, perhaps this never would have happened. Sadface.

  • brittney

    The “flume” error was my fault! I misheard the guy yelling from the desk. A flume, it turns out, is for water. If it was a flume, perhaps this never would have happened. Sadface.

  • redmonkredux

    Indeed, a flume uses water generally to float things–logs, lumber, etc to a lower location by giving it an even and controllable rate of descent. you can see one south of us 80 as you go toward Truckee to Reno. Flues though need a chimney sweep on a regular basis. Too bad, Tadich Grill is old SF at it’s best.

  • redmonkredux

    Indeed, a flume uses water generally to float things–logs, lumber, etc to a lower location by giving it an even and controllable rate of descent. you can see one south of us 80 as you go toward Truckee to Reno. Flues though need a chimney sweep on a regular basis. Too bad, Tadich Grill is old SF at it’s best.

  • Fred

    A restaurant with a flume would be really awesome.

  • Fred

    A restaurant with a flume would be really awesome.