It’s finally here. They actually did it: Berkeley Rep will debut the so-called modern rock opera American Idiot, based on the eponymous album from Berkeley locals Green Day. Why?
“American Idiot is an iconic rock album from a band that hails from our hometown,” said Tony Taccone, artistic director of Berkeley Rep. (I believe Green Day fans might advocate Dookie over American Idiot, but OK.)
The storyline follows some working-class people as they travel from the suburbs to the city to the Middle East (don’t go hiking in Iraq, you hear?). Every song from the album gets some play time, plus several new ones.
Tickets are currently on sale. Below, find the important deets and dates to keep in mind.
What: American Idiot premieres
Where: Berkeley Rep’s Roda Theatre at 2015 Addison Street in Berkeley, CA
Cost: Between $16 and $81
When: The show runs September 4 to October 11
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 8 p.m.
- Wednesdays at 7 p.m.
- Saturdays at 2 and 8 p.m.
- Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
(Note: No matinees on September 5, 6, 12, or 13.)
Some Special Evenings:
- night/OUT (LGBT event): Thursday, September 17 at 8 p.m.
- 30 Below (party for those under 30): Friday, September 18 at 8 p.m.
Wanna be gabbed at? Listen to the docents before the show at 7 p.m. on September 8, 10, 17, 22, 24, 29 and October 1, 6, and 8. Or maybe you want to analyze the deep significance of this piece de theatre? Come to the show on September 17 or 25 or October 6.
And free food! Tastings of note include (among others):
- Berkeley Farmers’ Market at 7 p.m. on October 2
- Angeline’s at 6 p.m. on September 27
- Meridian at 6 p.m. on October 4
Image courtesy of Berkeley Rep